Re: gEDA-user: pcb printing

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 22:03:38 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> And if people are asking about printing, we should consider adding some
> page selection options for printing.

I really miss the ability to define a local print policy. It should be
possible to set up some kind of config file with defaults to print a
number of user defined pages.

Suggestion: A framework that selects groups of objects to be printed
according to matching properties. Properties might be layer, type of
object, or the object name. Each group would have parameters attached
like color, transparency and flags like "thin draw". Definition of a page
would include the definition of a viewport and a number of groups printed
on top of each other. A print job would contain a number of pages.

The config file might be placed in ~/pcb or in the project file. This
would allow for user defaults and still allow fo project specific
printing. When I worked with protel95, we routinely used a print
definition that was tuned to our needs.

> Currently it prints [probably] way too many pages for most people.

The current set of pages in postscript output is probably only useful for
those who do their own etching. For the docs a different set would be
better -- One, that includes pages with values and the corresponding page
with refdeses displayed.

---<(kaimartin)>-----

Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211
Welfengarten 1, 30167 Hannover           http://www.iqo.uni-hannover.de
GPG key:    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=Knaak+kmk&op=get