Re: gEDA-user: single-sided boards

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:37:35AM +0300, Ineiev wrote:
> On 3/2/09, David SMITH <dave.smith@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > If I may make a suggestion - "solve" the layer handling problem which
> > prevents PCB's data files from being taken directly by companies like
> > www.pcb-pool.com.  (I think it's something to do with the fact that
> > the file doesn't contain any info to define the meaning of each layer
> > (e.g. top copper, bottom copper, etc.)
>
> What layer handling problem do you speak of?
>
> The top and bottom copper layers _are_ marked in PCB files; and other
> copper layers are ordered as well.
>
> As I understand, PCB files are not taken directly because PCB users
> send to the manufacturers Gerber files rather than force them to
> install the program on their machines.

I'm afraid that I don't remember much more than I've already told you.

Some PCB manufacturers (e.g. pcb-pool) will take native files as well
as just Gerbers.  I guess that the manufacturer either has a copy of
that tool installed locally, or they've developed an automated
conversion script.

From a user's point-of-view, it makes life much easier because they
no longer have the hassle of generating Gerbers (e.g. getting the
correct version of RS274, putting in the right number of decimal
places, including a readme file to indicate which layer is which,
etc...)

In my case, I just send them my application's native file.  For someone
who makes one PCB every year or so, it means that I don't have to worry
about making sure that the Gerber generation settings are correct, and
if there's a problem (e.g. layers are in the wrong order, etc.) it's
definitely their mistake, not mine :-).  I guess it's one way in which
manufacturers can gain competitive advantage by making their
customers' lives easier.

I remember at some point suggesting that pcb-pool should support 'pcb'
files natively, and they said that it wasn't currently possible
because some necessary information was missing from the file format.
I thought that they said it was the layer definition information, but
ICBW.

This was a few years ago, so things might have changed since.

<rant>
If only the PCB manufacturing industry could standardise on a new, open
format that solves Gerber's shortcomings.  It does seem to be rather
silly that we're still using a file format that was defined in the days
when memory was so expensive that they did away with the decimal
points...
</rant>

--
David Smith            Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx