Re: gEDA-user: pcb segmentation fault

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 12:07 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > DJ, I guess you might know more on this.. what are the invariants
> > supposed to be? Is it the HID's job to reject hairline drawing if
> > the exporter doesn't want it, or is the core at fault for asking to
> > draw primitives which aren't needed by a given exporter?
>
> The core doesn't know what a "given exporter" might need, so it must
> be up to the hid to reject things it's not interested in.

Sounds rather sub-optimal if they get thrown a lot of geometry they have
to discard. (I guess this case isn't so bad though).

When we discussed this before, I recall the conclusion was the HIDs made
it known if they could accept thin-draw or not, and that exporters would
not be asked to draw 0 width hair-lines. (Hence changing the hair-width
from 1, to 0 without a great deal of re-verification of the various
exporters). I guess the hole outline isn't really a "thin-draw" only
operation quite the same as for other primitives.

When I was last working on this code, it struck me that infering
thin-draw desirability / capability from the dicer flag was not a good
thing to do for all cases (not least of which because it is confusing).
This said.. isn't the hole-outline drawing case fixed if we just test if
the GUI / exporter wants thin-draw primitives before we draw the arc?

(The same as how we disable thin-draw lines / polygons in favour of
their solid counterparts when an exporter doesn't want thin-draw,
however it is we infer that).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,