     From: Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx>
     Subject: Re: gEDA-user: pcb- no library dialog window on startup
     Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:47 PM

   A couple of points..
   Please format the patches as a unified diff. (diff -u) These give
   better
   context as to the changes, and will include function names in the hunk
   headers.
   gboolean dontopenlibwindowonstartup;
   Doesn't follow PCB's variable naming convention (not that it
   explicitly
   has one - but clearly the above doesn't fit in.). I don't think the
   name
   actually reflects its usage wall anyway. You're using it as a one-shot
   to suppress showing the window the first time it is asked for.
   The variable  is never initialised (I believe you're implicitly
   assuming / relying on the variable being zero'd in the BSS section of
   the executable, which isn't a given on all platforms / compilers.
   I've not dug into the problem at hand, but I can't quite see why you
   need a one-shot to suppress the first opening of this dialog. Why not
   patch the program so it doesn't attempt to open the dialog at startup?
   It seems that this patch would just introduce buggy behaviour if that
   root issue was addressed.
   --
   Peter Clifton
   Electrical Engineering Division,