Re: gEDA-user: PostScript patch for Windows ps.c attached

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 20:17 -0400, Bob Paddock wrote:

>  static const char * const calib_lines[] = {
> -  "%!PS-Adobe\n",
> +  "%!PS-Adobe-3.0\n",

Is this saying we are using level 3 postscript?

Do we use level 3 postscript commands?
If not, we should probably leave this as it was, otherwise we may break
compatibility with interpreters / printers which only know lower levels
of postscript.

The other (stylistic) point I noted from your patch was that you comment
on the DSC emissions _after_ printing them, e.g.:

+  fprintf (f, "%%%%EOF\n" );
+  /*
+   * %%EOF DCS signifies the end of the document. When the document
+   * manager sees this comment, it issues an end-of-file signal to the
+   * PostScript interpreter. This is done so system-dependent file
+   * endings, such as Control-D and end-of-file packets, do not
+   * confuse the PostScript interpreter.
+   */

I don't feel too strongly on the issue (can't speak for other PCB
developers), but usually you see the comments preceding the code they
relate to, or on the same line.

The changes look good though.. thanks for working on it!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,