Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation

On 3/18/09, Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, we can have FreeType render the font to some sort of
> storable-in-the-pcb-file format and keep it in there, rather than
> going out to the system each time.

(Like proposed by the patch series)

> Perhaps a separate "save" option,
> like "save self-contained" or something.

I also thought of an option to transform texts into primitives
(not the fonts because they may contain more characters than
PCB fonts currently support and because there may be many fonts).
this would provide a way to generate a board that could be read
with an unpatched PCB. however, some information would be lost.

> Another way to address it might be to (transparently) do two
> separate DRC runs when the user chooses to run a DRC.  First, run DRC
> with the board as-designed, with the user-selected FreeType font,
> then (internally) replace the FreeType font with the standard PCB
> font and rerun DRC.  You could then tell the user something like "the
> board passes DRC as-is, but if the selected FreeType font isn't
> available in the future for whatever reason, it won't pass DRC.

I really don't like the idea that a font may disappear
in the future. all my Cyrillics would become absolutely pointless,
PCB would just mark the letters with rectangles. I certainly can
rewrite the same text with another FreeType font, but nevertheless it
would be unpleasant.

I think the problem should be avoided when choosing resources
for the project.

Kind regards,
Ineiev