Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation

On 3/18/09, Bob Paddock <graceindustries@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Ineiev <ineiev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does that cause any licensing issues with the resultant .pcb?
I believe the hardware itself is not copyrightable (not in USA),
it is the design that may be. I think this means that manufacturing
and selling the devices does not legally counts as a distribution
and the GPL simply can't restrict it; the seller won't have to
publish any sources.

Also, some GPLed fonts have well-known `font exception'
(As a special exception, if you create a document which uses
this font, and embed this font or unaltered portions of this
font into the document, this font does not by itself cause
the resulting document to be covered by the GNU General Public
License.)

> Fonts are very license restrictive, depending on the Font.
Good point; it probably should be mentioned
in LoadFreetype action help string.

The vast majority of fonts may have restrictive licenses;
fortunately, there are some that have not.

Thanks,
Ineiev