Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation

On 3/18/09, Bert Timmerman <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> User A has a design with a font in latin, user B in Hebrew and user C in
> Arabic, user D in Japanese ... left to right, right to left,
> top-down ...
>
> It is all so confusing to keep silk from copper for every font there is
> out there ...
>
> Localised and internationalised boards, the thought alone gives me
> shivers.

The checks are made against drawing primitives
(at most, lines, arcs and polygons); these primitives
don't depend on the script, be it even in bustrophedon;
any text in ordinary layouts fits roughly into
a rectangular area, probably rotated (not right now,
but eventually one may want to FreeRotate texts, too) ---
there are few sources for any confusion.

And these [ABCD] most probably know the languages they use.

Ah! yes, if the texts are to be replaced dymamically
to conform current user's locale settings,
it would be a nightmare. I wonder if any existing PCB design
software can do this.

Regards,
Ineiev