Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation

On 3/16/09, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thing I'm wondering though is if we'll ever have issues with fonts
> being different on different systems.  Where I'm headed with that is
> what if user A designs a board and the text is all ok (no DRC violations
> like silk on pads, etc).  Then user A gives the design in .pcb format to
> user B who has a different set of fonts installed.

I'm absolutely sure the fonts must be embedded; I see no other way to
transfer PCB files reliably.

I probably should test different freetype2 library versions to check
how fully the results are reproduced.

> Neat stuff and it seems that a real benefit here is in supporting silk
> screen in languages other than english.  I wonder if any other board
> layout tool can do this.

PCAD-200x can (at least, I asked a PCB designer at my workplace and he
demonstrated me Cyrillics).

Best regards,
   Ineiev