Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation

Hi all,

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 08:57 +0300, Ineiev wrote:
> On 3/16/09, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One thing I'm wondering though is if we'll ever have issues with fonts
> > being different on different systems.  Where I'm headed with that is
> > what if user A designs a board and the text is all ok (no DRC violations
> > like silk on pads, etc).  Then user A gives the design in .pcb format to
> > user B who has a different set of fonts installed.
>
> I'm absolutely sure the fonts must be embedded; I see no other way to
> transfer PCB files reliably.

User A has a design with a font in latin, user B in Hebrew and user C in
Arabic, user D in Japanese ... left to right, right to left,
top-down ...

It is all so confusing to keep silk from copper for every font there is
out there ...

Localised and internationalised boards, the thought alone gives me
shivers.

> I probably should test different freetype2 library versions to check
> how fully the results are reproduced.
>
> > Neat stuff and it seems that a real benefit here is in supporting silk
> > screen in languages other than english.  I wonder if any other board
> > layout tool can do this.
>
> PCAD-200x can (at least, I asked a PCB designer at my workplace and he
> demonstrated me Cyrillics).
>
> Best regards,
>    Ineiev

Kind regards,