Re: gEDA-user: [pcb GTK HID] Updated patch for filters in filechooser dialog

Hi Peter and all on the list,

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 14:52 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 18:32 -0700, Steven Michalske wrote:
> > Bert,
> >
> > just a question about the shell style globs for the filters.
> >
> > you are adding two of the posable capitalizations
> >
> > +    gtk_file_filter_add_pattern (pcb_filter, "*.pcb");
> > +    gtk_file_filter_add_pattern (pcb_filter, "*.PCB");
> >
> > Will gtk's globs use the following syntax?
> >
> > +    gtk_file_filter_add_pattern (pcb_filter, "*.[Pp][Cc][Bb]");

Testing this gave a negative result :(

Maybe all caps is still a good idea in a somewhat older Microsoft
universe (FAT or 8.3 file systems) ?

> > If it did, it would match
> >
> > pcb
> > Pcb
> > pCb
> > pcB
> > PCB
>
> I'm not sure this is a good thing.. I would prefer just ".pcb" and ".fp"
> to be matched, unless anyone had a good reason to do otherwise.
>
> > and only use one glob pattern
> >

> > also I thought we made mime types and the gtk chooser can use mime
> > types too.....
> > gtk_file_filter_add_mime_type()
>
> That would be good to add as well I suspect. (Or instead of the suffix
> matches). It might be useful to test how much performance impact it has
> to require inspecting the files for mime-type though.
>
> Relevant mime-types which PCB registers are:
>
> application/x-pcb-footprint
> application/x-pcb-layout
> application/x-pcb-netlist

Thanks for the mime type strings, they were JIT :)

I'm going to test mime stuff tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.