Re: gEDA-user: PALs GALs and SPLDs going the way of the Dodo?

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 16:29 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > Am I correct in thinking that it would be unwise to use these in new
> > designs?  Do you use SPLD? What do you use to program them? How about
> > the ISP versions?
>
> Look at the XC9536XL from xilinx.  It's $1, runs on 3.3v, and ISP-able
> or you can program them externally (they're flash based).
>
> http://www.delorie.com/electronics/bin2seven/
>
> Still huge compared to a 16v8, though, but once you have the bitstream
> files (xilinx runs with Makefiles on Linux) you can program them with
> open source or home-brew toools.

I've used the XCs before, for this project though the 20 pin TSSOP
barely fit, no room for a tqfp-44, actually the space I have is 8x17mm
so I used standard quad gates in 4 TVSOP packages from TI.  About an
hour gate-swapping to route but it fits.

> You probably also want to see http://www.dataman.com/
>
> > (nice article DJ)
>
> Thanks!  Next month's article covers programming the XC9572XL from
> Linux ;-)

I'll watch for it.

__
Ormund