Re: gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down

   I'm curious what pcb could possibly have more parts than a regular
   motherboard?
   --- On Mon, 3/30/09, gene glick <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     From: gene glick <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Subject: Re: gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down
     Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 1:35 AM

   Peter Clifton wrote:
   > Polygons make stuff slow.
   OK.  That would be the planes.  I don't too much there yet, but the
   ones
   that are there overlap each other.

   > Perhaps running with a compositing window manager makes things slow,
   > (unsubstantiated suggestion to test without if you are using one).
   > Compiz really messed up gschem performance until the drawing model
   was
   > fixed. I "think" PCB's is ok though, (and I'm using compiz myself -
   with
   > the GL branch)
   What is that?  I don't know.

   > I assume you're using the GTK HID.

   Yep. Is lesstif any different, speed-wise?  Oh, I am using KDE 3.5
   desktop - if that has any bearing.
   > Remind me which patches you're using?

   Back around Christmas you sent me some fixes for the large number of
   rats that I had (around 7000, I think).  PCB bombed with all the rats.
   Your patch fixed it up.
   Also, my drawing space is large - around 40" X 50".  That was just
   required to get all the parts to disperse in some reasonable fashion.
   Eventually, I hope to shrink this monster considerably.  Any chance
   the
   size of the board has anything to do with it?