     From: Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Symbol style recommendations
     Date: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
     -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

   On Thursday 19 March 2009 21:58:59 Josh Jordan wrote:
   > I prefer to use actual pinouts in my schematics for two reasons: It
   helps
   > you with chip placement because naturally you will tend to place
   symbols
   > and lines to get the fewest line crossings.  Going to layout after
   you have
   > already decided the best general position for parts makes it much
   easier.
   > The second reason is that later on it will be easy to look back to a
   > schematic that has a similar layout as the board and the same
   pinouts.
   We'll have to agree to disagree. When I look at a schematic, I want to
   be able
   to quickly and easily work out what the circuit is designed to do, and
   having
   the pins on my symbols arranged by function and bus offset rather than
   by
   physical position helps a great deal.
   What you're doing completely defeats the point of having separate
   schematic
   and layout diagrams, IMHO.
   What do you do about parts that have different pinouts depending on
   what
   package they're in?
                                        Peter
   --