Re: gEDA-user: NE 555 and simulation issue

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 21:46 +0530, W.H. Kalpa Pathum wrote:

> >  SPICE 3f5 is the latest Berkeley release, and this is (if I recall
> > correctly) the release from which ng-spice is derived.  3f5 does build under
> > Linux, I think.
>
> that's news, thanks :-)
> >
> >  But regardless, ng-spice is pretty much "real" SPICE, so you're on the
> > right track!  Lots of companies have grabbed the free SPICE, made
> > vendor-specific enhancements, and released it as a binary-only product
> > (usually for one specific company's rickety, proprietary operating system)
> > and often not for free.  This doesn't mean "SPICE isn't free". ;)

Unfortunately, most spice course I've seen use P-Spice, as the de-facto
standard. The models may not be completely compatible with ng-spice, so
your mileage will vary.

Gnucap is another advanced simulation environment which might be
interesting. It is different to spice, but can accept spice syntax and
models etc.. Again, milage will vary as to how well it works with a
given model - and it is by no means a drop in replacement for spice,
some things are just done differently.

Al might chime in and give more info if I've got anything wrong here, as
I'm certainly not an expert - and Al ought to know, since he writes
Gnucap.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,