Re: gEDA-user: gEDA user: gnetlist -gdrc buffer overflow and gnetlist -gspice-sdb killed

On Mar 2, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Sounds like gnetlist is really struggling with the multiple schematics -
> this could perhaps be an inefficiency in how the guile back-ends are
> written, or something similar in the core gnetlist code.

As someone who works with big designs in gEDA, I can tell you that gnetlist doesn't scale very well. I would at the very least expect very long run times when processing the kind of expand-hierarchy-before-gnetlist approach Facundo is taking. With more common approaches the slowdown is noticeable, but my computers have been getting faster as my gEDA designs get more ambitious, so it has never been a serious problem for me.

I told Ales about this at one of the FreeDaug things years ago, and he said he wasn't surprised, but we didn't get into details. It didn't seem all that important.

I believe the poor scaling is in the front end: which back end you use doesn't seem to matter.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx