Re: gEDA-user: pcb doesn't find my pins

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:55 -0500, Jim wrote:
Peter Clifton wrote:
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 07:27 -0500, Jim wrote:
Peter Clifton wrote:
This is the only part of the file (board.pcb) that mentions the footprint and/or the pins.

Element(0x0 "Wiz812mj.fp" "U102" "unknown" 10 10 3 100  0x0)
(
    Pin(310 -450 60 28 "J1-1" 0x101)
    Pin(310 350 60 28 "J2-1" 0x101)
    Pin(310 -350 60 28 "J1-2" 0x01)
    Pin(310 450 60 28 "J2-2" 0x01)

Has this board been opened and saved by PCB, or is it as produced by
gnetlist / gsch2pcb.

I ask, since PCB doesn't write out the Element header this way, it uses
[ brankets ], which denotes a different coordinate multiplier, 0.01mil
resolution I think. PCB has not saved Element(...) since Jan 2004!

Footprints can still use this syntax, and PCB will read it - but it will
save with the newer syntax.

I'm afraid I'm no closer to solving the mystery. Perhaps you could email
me the complete example board in which the netlist can't find the
required pins, and I'll take a poke at what is wrong.

Send any .cmd and .net file along too, as they might have clues as to
the issue.

Best regards,

Originally when I wasn't getting a netlist, pcb had opened it, but when I went back and made the changes so the footprint file conformed to the rules, I was getting syntax errors from pcb so I'm guessing pcb wasn't rewriting anything if it couldn't figure out what I had.

I've learned quite a bit from these posts so let me cogitate and try some things. Thanks for the offer. I hope I won't need to take you up on it. Some combination of your info and Stephan's design may do the trick.

Jim.