Re: gEDA-user: rant: pcb print from command line

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yes, I feel ignored by the developers.  No, I am not happy about it.
>
> I agree.  Those mean developers!  Why can't they spend more time on
> PCB and less time with their families and jobs?  They should be
> ashamed of themselves, not giving free software priority over things
> like food and shelter.

He said nothing about developers spending too little time on the
project, I think everyone understands about real life and appreciates
the time put into the project.  He said he was being ignored, which is
an orthogonal issue.  Clearly time has been spent by the developers
working on PCB since Kai-Martin has submitted those patches, so it's a
matter of prioritizing the time spent on the project, not prioritizing
things in your own life.  I believe part of the priviledge of having
commit access to the public repository involves the responsibility to
spend some of the small amount of time you have for the project going
through and applying or denying and commenting on community
contributions instead of just working on your own pet sub-project. I
can't complain too loudly since all of my patches have eventually made
it in, but it still irks me that this happens and I've seen a lot of
good functionality and quality patches ignored.

As an example Stephen and the other devs working on Icarus Verilog are
fantastic about this and may provide a good example of how this could
be done.  Of course that may just be that Steve is able and willing to
put in the extra time as the "benevolent dictator" of the project.
One thing that I believe they do that could apply here (I could be
wrong and maybe they will correct me) is while Steve is spending time
working on a big re-work or feature, Cary forgoes the "fun part" of
working on new features and does the grunt work of fixing bugs and
going through community contributions and stuff.  Then it will be
Cary's turn next to work on something fun while Steve does some grunt
work.  However Steve manages to make it work, it certainly makes me
want to spend more time working on Icarus every time I put a patch in,
whereas I'm often hesistant to work on PCB, wondering if it will be
ignored or not.

Just some thoughts... carry on. :)

Jared