Re: gEDA-user: rant: pcb print from command line

Since I'm in the mood to share my opinions today... :)

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It might seem unfair that we're (or I am) trying to third party
> contributions to a higher standard than some of PCB's existing legacy
> code, but assuming it doesn't completely stifle contribution,
> encouraging high standard commits should aid PCB's long term quality.

I think holding new additions, either from third parties or the devs,
to a higher standard than existing code is a good thing.

> On the other hand, I am reluctant to bash down people's patch
> contributions with continual bombardment to polish them endlessly.
> Falling back to the "I'm busy" stance is lots less confrontational than
> me batting the patch back to you and demanding revisions before I apply
> it.
>
> Perhaps we should just apply the patch as is, and catch any bugs (if)
> they appear. I don't want to discourage future contributions.

I think your email is a great response to KMK and loads better than
ignoring it, saying "I'm busy," or even applying it without being
happy with it.   I don't think it is inappropriate for devs to require
contributors to follow guidelines and a certain standard (to a certain
extent).  It would be nice if we could agree on a standard format and
process, which I guess is part of DJ's plan.

Jared