Re: gEDA-user: Native Mac OS X?

On Mar 8, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
"Feature"? This isn't how X works, it's not how X EVER worked, and it's not how X is SUPPOSED to work. Wow I wonder what they were smoking when
they did this.

Steve did a good job of explaining the mechanics of this, but do note
that most X servers are launched before the user session starts, and
therefore would not benefit from the on-demand server startup that OS
X has.

You explained previously that you keep X11.app open all day - for
those who only open it once in a while,

Well, it's running whenever the machine is running, which is 24x7. I consider it to (effectively) be a part of the OS, at that level, just like the native windowing system.

Remember, I'm a UNIX guy...always have been. I've had nothing but a UNIX workstation on my desk since the mid-late 1980s, and only a few years ago moved to a Mac as my primary desktop platform, because a Mac is currently the best way to get a high-performance UNIX workstation with X11 on the desktop.

I find it ridiculous that Apple didn't use the standard windowing system that the rest of the world has been using for decades, but since they provided an implementation of it stapled onto the side with a good degree of integration, and I never have to be consciously aware of the fact that 3/4 of the visible windows on my desktop aren't put there by X11, I don't complain too much about it.

it's nice not to have to worry
about whether you set $DISPLAY properly, or whether your DISPLAY=:0
line just stomped on a SSH X forwarding setting.

I never have to set DISPLAY manually...my dot-files are written properly. :) And I work on many different systems, displaying stuff back to my destkop, all day long.

It can be done, and it can be 100% transparent and nicely integrated, if everything is configured properly.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL