Re: gEDA-user: Native Mac OS X?

On Mar 8, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:
My statement was that you as a user should not override the setting that the computer configured for you.

...assuming the people who wrote that part of the OS did it right. I'm willing to bet I've been using (and programming) X longer than they have.

If you misread that as "In OSX we don't use the DISPLAY variable at all", then ignore the rest. If you don't use leopard or snow leopard, then go use it for a month, and then complain with the integration of SSH and X11 as niceties for power users.

I only recently got a machine running Snow Leopard. My main machine runs Tiger.

Otherwise, please elaborate on the misfeature It might be a bug; then I'll file a report for you.

I don't think they'd consider it a bug, as it's obviously the way they intended it to operate. It's not, however, anywhere even close to the way the rest of the world uses X. THAT is the problem I have with it.

10.5 and beyond add a launch agent that sets your DISPLAY environment variable to a X11 helper. This helper points to X11 on you mac so that you get seamless integration of launching X11 apps from your terminal. Are you saying that I must override what the terminal did and manually launch X11 to use it properly?

No. I'm saying X11 should be there regardless. That way, when an X program starts up, you don't have to sit there and wait for X itself to come up.

How is this a bad thing, letting my computer that understands the rules for using X11 as a foreign window manager in it's own window managing environment?

  It's not a window manager, but I suspect you know that.

It's a bad thing because it's not the way X was designed to be used, and more importantly, it's not the way the rest of the world uses X. Further, I don't want to have the delay of X starting up the first time I start an X program. That in itself wouldn't bother me much, because I never shut down (and rarely reboot) my machine, so my current instance of X11 has been running for about three months now, but still...I find it unclean and weird. I've been using X a LONG time (since X10R4...no typo there) and I know how it works, and how it's supposed to be used. What on earth would possess Apple to try to redefine it like that?

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL