Re: gEDA-user: Assembly drawing

Ah... sounds like you've got it.

  The layout is too dense for a silk component refdeses.  I hadn't
thought of setting up an assemly only layer.  Can I move the silk
refdeses to this layer?  Using select and Shift+M doesn't work.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM, timecop <timecop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> um, you should have component refdes near the component on the silk level.
> if you have some more complicated assembly-related instructions
> (outline of big component, keep-out area, etc) they should go in
> assembly layer.
>
> why do you have refdes outside of the board from beginning?
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM, andrew whyte <ajwhyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ÂIt seems that there must be a more elegant way of doing what I'm
>> trying to do in PCB. ÂSo I thought I'd ask.
>>
>> ÂI have a layout, that I have moved component idents away from the
>> components, (for simplicity & space), Âthe manufacturer still needs to
>> know which component to put where and has asked for an assembly
>> drawing. ÂIf I export PCB to a postscript file, I get good assembly
>> drawings, but the position of the idents is still off board.
>>
>> ÂI can reset the offsets of the idents manually, but this means
>> trawling the .pcb file in a text editor (and let's assume that my
>> regular expression skills aren't hot enough to automate that). Anyway,
>> this simply puts the ident at the origin of the component which is
>> usually the middle, I'd like to have each ident centered on the
>> component and aligned with it (like when they are first imported from
>> gsch2pcb).
>>
>> ÂIs there an easier way to generate a document that will tell my
>> manufacturer which footprint is which component?
>>
>> ÂThanks for your interest.
>>
>> --
>> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
>> Â Â Andrew Whyte MEng CEng
>> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âparamita ltd
>> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
>> paramita ltd, is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
>> Registered number: 6631289. Registered office: 788-790 Finchley Road,
>> London, NW11 7TJ (please use trading address for normal correspondence)

âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
     Andrew Whyte MEng CEng
     Electronics & Software Design Engineer

               paramita ltd

âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
     @ - aw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     â - www.paramita-electronics.com
     â - +44 (0) 79 81 01 61 85