Re: gEDA-user: rant: pcb print from command line

> If the senior developers are fed projects and requirements, suitably
> discussed and planned, they'd be more likely to work on them.  We
> currently work on our own desires because we know what we want, to
> solve our problems.

That sounds nice, but the reality is quite different (understandably).
Firstly, who feeds the projects and requirements to the developers?
Secondly, raising ideas for discussion often ends (quickly) in the
comment, "If you want it, just develop it yourself." In practice
developers work on their own projects (because it is fun and
fulfilling) and not on user requirements (unless they align). Someone
else's requirement is more like work - why do that in your spare time?
This situation is perfectly understandable, but it does raise some
questions, like,

How are projects identified?
How are important bugs and feature requirements identified?
Do non-developers have a say? (no is a valid answer, someone just
needs to decide)
What is the forum to constructively discuss ideas and requirements?
How should these ideas and requirements be presented? (i.e. raise the
bar for presenting ideas so that it is not as simple as sending and
email saying "It would be nice if...")
What motivates developers to work on projects that are not their own?