Re: gEDA-user: On integrating simulator in gschem

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:44:05PM -0500, John Griessen wrote:
> Ivan Stankovic wrote:
> >Within gschem, we could support various simulator-specific flows by having
> >custom menus that bring up nice GTK dialogs with additional simulator options
> >etc. The beauty of all this is that most of it doesn't require any changes to
> >gschem and can be implemented almost entirely via plugins and external scripts.
>
> Al Davis has been asking for a translator that is external so progress can be made
> soon and not have to rewrite gschem.  What is the plugin status of gschem?
> Is it anything like pcb's plugin writing?

It's basically a scheme script, oscopy.scm, which is installed to
$prefix/geda/share/gEDA/scheme.

So you can just

1. download oscopy (for now just clone from the git repo and run autogen.sh)
2. ./configure --prefix=<the same prefix you used for libgeda, gschem...>
3. make install
4. add
        (load-from-path "oscopy.scm")
   to your gschemrc

and you should see the oscopy menu when you next start gschem. Admittedly, the
current usage has many rough edges, but it demonstrates that the idea works.
And the four step process described above can hardly be simpler.

> Here's what Al has been asking for in outline form:
>      http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/glue-projects

Yes, that's exactly how it was done with oscopy. DBUS proved actually very
useful and simple to work with.

--
Ivan Stankovic, pokemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm";