Re: gEDA-user: On integrating simulator in gschem

kai-martin knaak wrote:
Dan McMahill wrote:
So.... I'd say that especially in the opensource area, a good waveform
viewer is not reinventing the wheel.  It is time to make a round one
instead of the existing square ones!

IMHO, you underestimate the effort to get were grace and gnuplot already are. The existing wheel is not square, but a fully functional sports utility vehicle. You just need to add a few extra levers and you have an ideal versatile simulation waveform viewer plus the benefit to produce publication quality printouts.

Upon further reflection, I think my analogy was not so good. I want a band saw and have been presented with a table saw. Both are useful, both do their respective jobs well, but one may not do the others job so well. The fact that they are both saws may not make them sufficiently similar to warrant modifying one. This was certainly my conclusion when looking at matlab as a waveform tool (the graphics were just too fundamentally presentation-only) even though it has very power processing.

I'll have to try out oscopy and it looks to me like they really are not reinventing everything from scratch anyway. Between dbus for IPC and matplotlib for graphics and python for a language, it looks like there is a lot done already.

-Dan