Re: gEDA-user: Distributed Symbols for Complex Devices(like Processors). How?

John Doty wrote:

> It is absolutely not a workaround: it is the way a well-factored system
> works.
>
> Go to the board and write 1000 times "The schematics are only a modest
> part of the documentation".

Go to the board and write a 1000 times:
"An UI is meant to give access to commonly needed actions"
Printing every sheet in a hierarchy is surely a common need. Note, that it
is  "UI",  not "GUI".

> What gschem can easily do is provide graphics representing a schematic
> page. What it has no business attempting is assembling those graphics,
> text, TeX, tabular data, simulation results, etc. into a document.

I am not talking about assembly to a valid documentation, but about the
production of the parts and pieces. That is, graphics representation of the
schematics, formated in a way other tools can deal with (EPS, PNG, ...)

> There are other tools for this.

To output all sheets of a hierarchical design, some entity has to parse the
schematics for included sub sheets. Currently, this entity is the user, or a
sophisticated script written by the user.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: