Re: gEDA-user: Distributed Symbols for Complex Devices(like Processors). How?

kai-martin knaak wrote:
Go to the board and write a 1000 times: "An UI is meant to give access to commonly needed actions" Printing every sheet in a hierarchy is surely a common need. Note, that it is "UI", not "GUI". To output all sheets of a hierarchical design, some entity has to parse the schematics for included sub sheets. Currently, this entity is the user, or a sophisticated script written by the user.

Why don't we add a contrib/ directory to geda (and then mention it in
the README and on the wiki) so we can include some of these scripts and
Makefiles that everyone is talking about?  That way when someone
downloads geda for the first time, they aren't starting from zero and
they have one or two documented workflows that they can use.

It seems to me somewhat unreasonable and certainly unpractical to say
"Here's a toolkit, go write your own script to use it.", having everyone
write their own Makefile for no reason.  Most libraries, toolkits and
the like include a directory of examples of how it can be used.
Including a contrib directory like this would probably reduce the number
of questions for features that are relatively low priority.

I have a Makefile that I use for a gschem->gsch2pcb->pcb workflow that I
believe I got from someone on IRC.  I'd be happy to contribute it if we
were to make a collection of scripts like this.

--
Jean