Re: gEDA-user: PCB Realign Grid

> Never used "pcb View - Align Grid".
> What may be the intended function? My guess: If you realign grid, all
> other components will become off grid.
>
> What I did: Align the new component to the grid, by grabbing its center
> or a single pin. For aligning a single pin it may be necessary/helpful
> activating "Settings/Orthogonal Moves".

I use the align grid for components that are not based around metric
spacings or vice versa. In this case the first pin is aligned, but
every pin thereafter is increasingly off grid. I like to run a fairly
course grid when doing the bulk of my layout - I find that I can place
and align things fairly quickly. However this hinges on being able to
re-align the grid to different pins/pads so that I can for example put
a via down that is exactly perpendicular to the pad.

> I can confirm, that realign grid does not do anything useful with the
> default configuration of pcb (GTK-GUI). However, with the lesstif GUI
> realign grid works as advertised in section 3.1.2 of the pcb manual: When
> choosing the new align point, the crosshair still locks to the old grid,
> but the cursor points to the new grid point.

Cheers, I will have a bit of a play with the lesstif GUI. I had
thought that the locking to grid may have been an issue - but I had
hoped that would be overridden by the fact that the cross-hair was
snapping to the pin/pad. I was also careful to ensure the curser was
at the same point, so in theory either returning the cross-hair or the
curser location should have resulted in a change.

thanks heaps for the responses,

Geoff