gEDA-user: Magnetic bike operation

   I'm having a debate with an ee friend about how the magnetic resistance
   works on an excersice bike.

   It occurred to me this would be the best place to solve it.

   Does anyone know if it is simply an electro-magnet close to a metal
   wheel where the stronger the magnetic field the stronger the
   resistance?  Or is it alternating magnets in a flywheel type
   configuration with a toriodal coil surrounding the flywheel and a
   variable resistance in the coil circuit resists the induced current
   providing the resistance to user who would be spinning the flywheel?
   (Sorry if I didn't describe that well).

   Or is it something completely different?

   Thanks