Re: gEDA-user: Magnetic bike operation

Just attach a disk of some conductive material to the axle of the thing you want to brake, and mount a strong permanent magnet so that it's near but not touching the flat surface of the disk.  I think a C-shaped magnet with the opening just big enough to clear the disk would work even better, but it's not required.  I believe my trainer uses two magnets, one on each side of the disk, facing each other.  If you're putting any significant continuous load on it, you will need some cooling; my trainer's load box get pretty warm after I've been using it for 20 minutes or so, and it has fan blades to drive air flow through it whenever it's turning.