Re: gEDA-user: automatic pon button

On 03/10/2011 04:10 PM, Karl Hammar wrote:
Balogh:
   http://www.robotika.sk/projects/virtuallab/atxswitch/images/ATXswitch.png
I see, you "press" the button as soon there is +5VSB, but in my
case I need power on the +12V rail, else the motherboard is totally
powerless. So I have to start the power supply first.

If the motherboard power is really dead (no V standby) until you power the 12V rail then your only source of power to do the power on circuit is off the mains unless you can pull Vsb out of the power supply. If, however, you see +5 on the WOL connector when the 12V rail is off then that is your source. You can do this many ways. A simple way is 2 relays. A couple of DPST will do the trick. Take the +5 off the WOL, through the NC side of relay1 and to the coil of relay2. The NO side of relay 2 is connected to the power switch. The coil of relay1 is driven by the 12V rail. When the 12V rail is off +5 will energize relay2 that will attempt to turn power on. As soon as the 12V rail comes up relay1 will energize and stop the coil power to relay2 thus "releasing" the power push button. This is a always on type of setup. The only way to turn the unit off and keep it off is to unplug the power cord.
Back to your picture. I have not found any spec for the wol connector
but it seems that the wol pin is +5V active high. So, in your case
wouldn't it be simpler just to momentarly short the +5V and wol pins
of the wol connector to start the pc?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data