Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

DJ Delorie wrote:

> However, I don't think we should start off with "lines have paste".
> They don't.

My current project happens to be a use case for lines with paste:
I need to transport lots of current on limited space. And it needs
to be very resistant to vibration (this is supposed to survive a
rocket launch) So ordinary green wires soldered are considered
a risk of failure. What we intend to do, is solder copper wires
full length on the board. This calls for tracks with exposed
copper and corresponding apertures in paste layer. Paste will
allow for better control of the amount of solder than with a
simple syringe dispenser.

Currently tracks cannot be uncovered, let alone induce paste apertures.
As a work-around I plan to convert the current path into pads just before
the layout is exported to gerber. (Maybe, I should write a script...)
This is of course a kludge.

Upshot: Please try not to constrain possible attributes and properties
of objects. There may be use cases even for seemingly weird combinations
just around the corner.
(Do I sound like John Doty now? :-)

> Allowing a GUI way to enable/disable layers anywhere in the heirarchy
> would be cool; you could disable just the assembly objects in your
> generic silk layer.

+1

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211