Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:55:58PM -0600, John Doty wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Martin Kupec wrote:
>
> > There will be a struct called "via".
> > It will contain a "hole" and pointers to attached object on
> > all affected layers.
>
> No. A "via" is only one kind of composite object. The list of kinds of composite objects that might appear on a board is unbounded. There isn't even a single kind of via in real life. Having an ad hoc implementation of each such object is impractical and confusing.
>
> Well-designed software would avoid implementing such things as special kludges, but would have a general facility for describing them. Then, users could contribute to libraries of such descriptions, so we would not be so dependent on developers to spoon feed us every detail. Footprints are a particular case of this, but other kinds of composite objects (subcircuits, antennas, delay lines, buried vias, fuses, current sense resistors, printed inductors and capacitors, ...) could also be in the library if the software properly distinguished between primitive elements and composite objects.

Ok. You got the point. I don't see how to do it right now, but I will
think of it.

We need at least "hole" element. And say which layers it goes through.
But the rest can by "just footprint". The problem I see is that the
number of layers affected differs, so the footprint has to accomodate
that.

	Martin