Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 05:19:10PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I don't want to end up with the current state that some 'specialy
> > named' layers receive special treatment.
>
> From a practical standpoint, I think it makes sense to have a fast way
> to scan for layers of some high-level type, as well as further typing
> them by name.
The types I am trying to introduce are quite 'high-level' ones. And
futher typing will be by attributes, and I can convert the most used
ones to some nice internal representation.

> My original design had an enumerated type for each drawing layer, that
> was one of (for example) "copper, silk, soldermask, paste, outline,
> other" with flags for "normal, inverted" and an assignment to a
> physical layer (1..N).
>
> That way, when you're doing something compute-intensive like
> connectivity checks for "auto-enforce drc clearance" you aren't doing
> a bazillion string compares.
I don't want to use the names (strings) internaly at all. Just at
import/export to file. Internaly it should all be pointer based
structures.

> Actions that are performed less often, like mapping a footprint to an
> element, can use a more open-ended string-attribute with more complex
> rules.

This will have to use names, but that should be 'less often' as you say.

	Martin Kupec