Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 02:09:43AM -0700, Steven Michalske wrote:
> Looking at the layers I would like to propose that the copper layer be
> made not specific to copper, but a conductor.
> Some common alternatives are silver ink traces, embedded resistors, or
> even more exotics like ITO (used for touch screens).
Ok. I will just rename it to 'conductive' layer.

> For the footprints,
> They should have a routing keepout, different than a  placement
> courtyard.  That is don't rout on these layers in these regions.
The 'countryard' layer should be exactly the keepout layer.
Silk layer is used for normal visible spacing of the component.

> Pins and pads should have antipads  that is when the pin goes through
> a plane this antipad is the area in the plane that is cut out for the
> pad on that layer.
> High speed signals often have the ground plane under the pad removed
> to minimize the capacitance/impedance change from the pad's greater
> area.
You can define more copper(now conductive) layers for one footprint.
And some of them can be negative. The only problem to solve is to define
some good mapping.

	Martin Kupec