Re: gEDA-user: PCB git bug

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 00:01 +0000, Thomas Oldbury wrote:
> Been playing around with the current git release 1.99z (probably
>    unstable?) and I've noticed there is one bug - it always wants to
>    complain about a DRC error, no matter if the board is clean. In my
>    case, the error seems to be chosen randomly from a perfectly good
>    trace, and is almost always a "copper areas too close" error. I'm using
>    6/6 mil rules and this is a 44pin 10mm TQFP, as can be seen, the trace
>    has more than adequate clearance. (The other DRC error is due to some
>    dead copper I think, but nothing to be really concerned about.)

Can you send an example layout file which shows the problem?

I wonder if the image preview is just a little shifted from what is
really causing the problem. In the screen-shot you showed, the plane
clearance near the via just above what looks like the word "core", to
the bottom track shown in your DRC violation looks a little close.

The "too close" and "insufficient overlap" DRCs work by systematically
bloating or shrinking geometry, and looking for any shorts or open
circuits that might cause respectively.

I can't remember exactly, but it might also be triggered by a line
segment which doesn't have the required clearance set on it, even though
it is not shorting against anything else (perhaps because planes are
cleared away by other objects with bigger clearances).

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,