Re: gEDA-user: iverilog from simulation to xnf

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 07:07:32PM -0500, gtodd@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I am writing verilog code to program a xiling xc4005xl to perform a fairly
> complex mathematical formula.   Using icarus verilog (v_0_6_1) to compile and
> simulate the code I have, so far, works fine.  Using $display, and compiling my
> code 'iverilog -omath math.v', './math' does just what I want it to.
>
>      Now, when attempting to generate a xilinx netlist formatted file with the
> same code ('iverilog -txnf math.v' or similar 'iverilog -txnf -fcnf=math.cnf
> math.v') generates the following errors:
>
> -- BEGIN ERROR
>
> NetBlock::match_proc
> default (failing) match for block
> NetBlock::match_proc
> default (failing) match for block
> target (10target_xnf): Unhandled task definition.
> target (10target_xnf): Unhandled task definition.
> target (10target_xnf): Unhandled task definition.
> target (10target_xnf): Unhandled task definition.
> target (10target_xnf): Unhandled proc_block.
> error: Code generation had errors.
>
> -- END ERROR
>
> These errors are somewhat vague to me.  Especially considering that they look
> like syntactical errors, which is frustrating considering that it compiles fine.
>
> My verilog code is fairly simple and consists of four tasks, each with atleast
> one defined input.  The main module also consists of atleast one input.
>
> I am fairly confused as to why the simulation and compilation works fine, but
> the same code will error out when attempting to created a XNF.
>
> Any help, or points of reference (I have read through verilog/xnf.txt), is
> greatly appreciated.

I don't believe tasks are generally included in the synthesizable
subset of verilog.  If you need tasks for simulation and testbench
stuff that's usually put in a testbench file which doesn't get
inlcuded when synthesizing.  Code for synthesis should be modules
only and follow the standard forms for describing hardware.