Re: gEDA-user: Anyone have any success with Icarus Verilog and Altera's Quartus software?

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 11:47  AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

clepple@ghz.cc said:
I'm evaluating Altera's Quartus II software (roughly same capabilities
 as Xilinx's Webpack) and I was wondering if anyone had done any
successful P+R in Quartus with the EDIF output of Icarus Verilog.
The tgt-edif module is very old. It likely won't work.
not terribly surprising.

On the other hand, it does have some handy-looking Verilog modules that the author used to deduce the proper architecture-specific dialect of EDIF.

The tgt-fpga module now bundled and under development works much
better, but would need some code added to support your target device.
You need to add a part "architecture", which I'm trying to make as
easy to do as possible. See for example the virtex2 support.
OK. I'll look at that on Monday, as I will need to figure out what the Altera EDIF parser wants for all of the basic cells.

Since the past few years, you're the first person to ask about
Altera support:-)
Well, it's a toss-up between Xilinx and Altera at work, but Altera does seem to have viable, well-priced alternatives to the Spartan II/IIE. Plus, I seem to remember something about 5V-tolerant I/O pins, although that may have been a different family.

--
Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/