Re: gEDA-user: What is the standard of gEDA tools and PCB

On Thu, 15 May 2003 20:24:13 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > And I love those bevels!
>
> If I ever decide to leap into the trace optimizer again, I'll add the
> one optimization I didn't do the first time around: curves.  One of
> the layout tools we had at Data General would "pull" all the traces as
> tight as the design rules allowed, so you'd see these traces swooping
> around the pads and curving all over the place.  Almost no outside
> corners and very few traces ran at perfect 90s.
>
> Of course, once you do that you're pretty much done editing the board ;-)

Amazing, that would be mega cool.

Curves by an autorouter are like rules in a knife fight ;-)

> I also didn't add the ability to "jump" traces over other segments, so
> you'll occasionally see a trace that goes out of its way to go around
> a trace when it obviously doesn't have to.

I'm not a hacker tho I do low level C embedded stuff, but such a feature sounds quite complex to implement ? I see a situation with every track vying for the shortest distance!

--
Kind Regards
Terry