Re: gEDA-user: What is the standard of gEDA tools and PCB

Rui Cheang,

Each copper layer will become an ***.output_group?.grb - replace the ? with the layer number

Then pcb supports putting components on both sides of the fab. the top side is the component side. The bottom side is the solder side.

If you put components on the component side then you will get the additional files

***.output_componentpaste.grb - this is used to create a mask for putting solder paste onto the component pads
***.output_componentsilk.grb - this is used to put on the non-conducting silk screen information -- letters numbers lines etc.
***.output_componentmask.grb - this is used to create the soldermask - see my paper about components for some more details.

If you have put components on the bottom side (solder side) you will get a similar set of files for the solder side solderpaste, soldersilk, soldermask.

You can see what each file is by using gerbv. For example gerbv ***.output_componentsilk.grb will just display the component silk screen. or
gerbv ***.*.grb will open all the files though it can complain about the drill file if you havn't used any vias or through hole devices. Each tab on the right side of the display can be used to add a gerber file to the active display.

To work with a fab vedor what I do is give them all the greber files and a drill report (where and what size are the holes). They know what to do. They will ask a lot of questions about what material do you want to use. What thickness of copper. Questions about finishing (gold platting for example) and on and on. I often just tell them my application and ask for their recomendations.

Good luck,

Steve M.

Rui Cheang wrote:

Thanks , but i want to know more:
(1) it generated a lot of files: ***.output_group(1-8).grb, plat-drill,grb, soldermask,grb, and unplated-drill.grb. What are they , how they can fab PCB board?
(2) it have gotten an warning (but i am not choose the one you mentioned)
--------- STARTING REFINEMENT PASS 6 ------------
BEST PATH COST: 1821
BEST PATH COST: 1655
BEST PATH COST: 446
BEST PATH COST: 481
BEST PATH COST: 561
BEST PATH COST: 970
BEST PATH COST: 941
BEST PATH COST: 831
BEST PATH COST: 366
BEST PATH COST: 929
BEST PATH COST: 581
BEST PATH COST: 440
BEST PATH COST: 600
END OF PASS 6: 13/13 subnets routed without conflicts
Congratulations!!
The layout is complete!
And has no shorted nets.
Warning: No action proc named " Atomic" is registered for widget "output"

what is the reason? Thanks