gEDA-user: Deconstructing PCB

DJ and John G.

Sorry just some rambling thoughts about deconstructing/reconstructing PCB might take. Uhm should we move this conversation to geda-dev?

1. Sever the GUI from the program data structures / algs for manipulating.

Does this make the main PCB program just a viewer?

File translating (print -> gerber, eps, or ps) becomes a seperate utilities.

Design Rule Checking becomes a seperate utility.

Autorouting becomes a seperate utility.

2. Make a gui to manipulate the project.pcb file. This program could connect to a new API for each of the above utilities - Think carefully about this in respect to hand placing components on a display - needs real time responce. - how to draw the faint outline of a component being dragged for example. Seems to me the viewer also has to have file updating.

3. Maybe, PCB should be modified to continually update a temp.pcb file. The new GUI could also update the temp.pcb file and cause the viewer to also update from the temp.pcb.

Yes, if your wondering i have pounded way to much code into my keyboard and will continue to do so until they pry it from my cold dead fingers || a usable speech interface is created || mental telepathy is made to work.

Steve M.