Re: gEDA-user: What is the standard of gEDA tools and PCB

Intuitive is good and powerfull is good and efficient is good. Classic problem is that these can be mutually exclusive in a single type of interface.

For example:

Method 1:

Using PCB's GUI I can draw a line - once i figured out how to get the pen tool - I can't do it by clicking on the line icon on the display - I have to hit the <F2> key. Then I left click where i want the line to start (or close to where I want the line to start) then I drag to where I want the line to end and I left click the mouse again. Problem is that as often as not while the line is close to where I want it it isn't exactly where I want it.

Efficiency: minimum 1 key stroke and 2 mouse clicks
Result: line on display usually near where I want it but rairly perfectly where it should be

Method 2:

I use emacs, another wonderfully intutive tool ;), to open up the project.pcb file and I hand type, or copy/paste a line into the file. In this case I can set everything I want. Start Points, End Points, Line Widths. Now I have to shut down pcb and restart it. I think one of the very nice features about pcb is that the files are hand editable.

Efficiency: Lots of key strokes, shut down pcb restart or reload pcb
Result: If I have done my math correctly line is where I want it... If not re-calculate, re-edit, re-start

Possible Future Method:

Does anyone remember the command line? Why not have a command line where a user can give pcb a command such as

Line 10 200 10 400 5

And presto, the line appears in the active layer.

Possible Future Method with GUI:

Use GUI to place line, use GUI to select line, use command line to tell line where exactly to be
or

Use GUI to place line, use GUI to select line, use gui with pop-up dialog window to set selected line parameters

I am not suggesting the elimination of the classic PCB GUI. I am thinking about adding an interface that would allow external commands to be passed to PCB. This interface could eventually be used to create GUI type interfaces, command line interfaces and maybe text editor interfaces. Those who love the PCB GUI would still have it. Those who want something more would have a starting point.

Steve M.