Re: gEDA-user: GAF component creation question

On 28 May 2003 10:01:22 -0500
John Griessen <john_g@cibolo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 06:59, Terry Porter wrote:
> > Hi Ales,
> >
> > Regarding component creation, is there any standard for symbols designed with function foremost
> > as opposed to package layout ?
>
> There are IEEE, JEDEC and GENCAM specs ...  I have not really read them
> directly ever.   The IEEE symbols are the mostly rectangular blocks with
> some wider places and a |> at the edge representing a clock input.

I hadn't even thought about those alternatives!

I was thinking more along the lines of these two different types of symbols:-

1/ Layout representing the actual chip footprint with pin number placement
in sequential order and chip functions as per the existing gaf styles.

2/ Layout representing chip function, therefore pin numbers are not always in
sequential order chip functions as per the existing gaf styles.

Sorry about my ambiguity.

> Magnus, would you please recommend parts of the specs to read?  I want
> to actually read some of them and separate out what applies to circuit
> boards, FPGAs, packaged chips, connection methods.  I will edit a
> condensed "primer" from them for who else is interested.   Any other
> "specification read and reduce" editor volunteers?

Put me down and pls feel free to email me directly on these issues.

Cya
--
Kind Regards
Terry