Re: gEDA-user: pcb question : ground plane

Stuart Brorson a écrit :

Hello,

I encountered another problem for which google couldn't give me an answer. I'd like to establish a ground plane in gEDA-pcb. With Protel, for example, I know that I have to draw a polygon over all my circuit, having checked a box "connect polygon to gnd" somewhere. I have tried similar with pcb and discovered that this overlays the polygon over all traces. That means that all traces are going to be interconnected.

Hence my question: How do I establish a ground plane in gEDA pcb?

Establishing a GND plane is a little different than you might think. Here are the steps which have worked for me:

1. Set the layer where you want the plane "active".
2. Draw your plane area using the polygon or rectangle tool. PCB
will automatically clear the plane away from all pins and vias in
your design. 3. For each pin or via which is attached to GND, use the "thrm"
(thermal) tool and click on the pin or via. This will place
a thermal at the GND pin/via and make the GND connection.
4. If you need a positive plane on an outside layer, do this:
While still on the GND plane layer, draw a line inside the GND
plane somewhere clear of other components. This signals the Gerber generator to generate a positive plane layer. Otherwise, PCB will generate a negative plane, which is apparently standards-
compliant, but is not desired by many el-cheapo board houses.

Caveats:

* If you mistakenly place a thermal somewhere where it doesn't belog,
the DRC checker won't find it -- at least in my experience. Am I
doing something wrong? Indeed, the whole mechanism of telling PCB
that a plane is connected to a net is mysterious to me. Can
anybody enlighten us as to how to do this correctly?
* The algorithm which does the auto-clear of plane around holes &
vias can leave little scraps of unconnected metal laying around.
You need to scan visually for those. Note that you can't just
delete the individual scraps because the program thinks that they
are attached to the larger plane. You generally have to draw your polygon to avoid creating little scraps in the first place. Yes, this is a misfeature.

Have fun,

Stuart

Thank you for your answer, Stuart. But I'm still having problems. This is how I proceed:

1) The plane where I want my ground plane to be active is the solder layer. So I choose "solder" as active layer and then ...
2) ... I draw a polygon or a rectangle covering the zone where I want may gound plane to appear. It is true that the plane clears away from alle pins and vias in my design. But it doesn't clear away from my lines connecting these vias and pins! Which means, all my lines are shorted.

What could I do now?

Yours,

Bernhard