Re: gEDA-user: pcbexpress.com and ``pcb'' ``negative'' solder mask layers

On 5/19/05, Joel N. Weber II <jwgeda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So why debian unstable is still using 1.99j would seem to be an
> interesting question, orthogonal to whatever issues I've been dealing
> with.

Actually, unstable's pcb version is "1.99j+20050127-2". Basically, by
keeping "1.99j" at the front of the version number, it allows a future
version of pcb with version 2.0 to exist without resorting to even
weirder-looking version numbers such as 1:2.0. If the Debian package
were to be changed to version 20050127-2, then 2.0 by itself would not
be considered a newer version number, and upgrades wouldn't work.

This isn't to say that pcb _needs_ to become 2.0 at some point, but
it's the same sort of versioning scheme that Icarus Verilog uses in
Debian (0.7 -> 0.7+YYYYMMDD -> 0.8).

--
- Charles Lepple