gEDA-user: Bill Of Material Management?

I was wondering what others where doing for Bill Of Material/Inventory
Management?

I'm looking for a better system than part numbers in a gnumeric/excel file,
and text files.

I have been putting non-significant part numbers (they are just numbers, they
contain no inherent categories; common problem in BOM management) in the
parts in my schematic, then look the numbers up in a text file with fgrep.

I would like a real ERP system like Compiere

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/compiere/

 but that is not in the budget right now (You have to buy a Oracle or Sybase
license to use the open source Compiere).

Suggestions?