Re: gEDA-user: Connecting foil to shield

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
I am curious if it's possible to make a good shield from aluminium foil
without a need to solder this foil. I wonder how to connect the foil
along it's edge so it doesn't consist a long hole which permits radio
waves in.

If you put the foils to overlap say 2cm and them glue them together,
they form a capacitor - is this capacitor enough to shield properly?

Or what if you bend and roll them together? Is this better from the HF
point of view?

Typically, a foil shield is mechanically connected to a board or a connector (With a crimp or a screw).
I've never known or heard of using an adhesive (Conductive adhesive or non-conductive adhesive).
In fact, I am certain that adhesives would be consistantly problematic for many reasons.

When metal foil won't work, thin metal plate is formed into the appropriate shape and installed on
the board. I've never seen an application where both foil and plate would not work.
.

Regards

Marvin.