gEDA-user: Via inner layer clears

    I've been playing around with vias on multi-layer boards in PCB.
I'm using vias with a 15mil hole and a 5mil annular ring for a total dia
of 25mils.  My test board has 4 layers and I have placed several vias
that connect to no layers.  On the outermost layers the vias clear an
area about 37 mils in diameter.  This makes sense because I have 6mil
spacing so 2*6mils + 25mils = 37 mils total clearance.  However, on the
inner board layers (which are not connected to these vias) the clearance
is also 37 mils.  It seems to me that since the drill is only 15mils and
I have 6 mil spacing, I should be able to have the via only clear 2*6 +
15 = 27 mils on the inner layers.

Is there a flaw in my logic or my board layout?  I'd really like to have
those extra 10mils back on unconnected inner layers.

Thanks,
David Carr