Re: gEDA-user: gschem hangs on a symbol

On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:08:25 +0200
Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John and all,
>
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 16:41, Werner Hoch wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 May 2006 16:26, John Coppens wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > The symbol isn't even large - just a simple PIC processor... I also
> > > converted the symbol using gsymupdate. I checked the symbol's file,
> > > and I cannot see anything strange. What's more, it appears in the
> > > symbol preview correctly!
> > >
> > > There's no crash, so no backtrace... Whan can I do?
> >
> > Can you attach your symbol?
>
> [...]
> got the symbol via privat mail.
>
> The problem is that inside your symbol is a reference to the symbol
> itself.
> I think this leeds to a bad recursion of gschem.
>
> ---- Last lines of the symbol:
> T 200 200 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
> device=PIC16C73B
> T 500 7400 9 12 1 0 0 0 1
> PIC16C73B
> B 500 250 3000 7050 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> C 14400 26200 1 0 0 pic16c73-1.sym
> C 9600 33100 1 0 0 pic16c73-1.sym
> ------------
>
> Remove the last two lines from the symbol file and it should work.

Great Werner!

Thanks... You know, I had been looking at that part of the symbol and
simply hadn't noticed it!

Well, maybe this could be a suggestion for the gschem writers. I can't
see why recursive calls could be useful, as there is no conditional
construction to avoid problems..

In general - it doesn't even make sense to _include_ symbols inside
others, does it? I mean, nobody garantees that the included symbol won't
change later on.

Again, thanks,

John