Re: gEDA-user: gschem printing problems

Hi,

Odd, Ghostscript shows your file correctly.

I can guess that this is a side effect of the way that the current postscript output works. There are likely some potntial bugs in the way that the scaling and rotation are applied to the output, mainly from the page size getting calculated in several places, and lots of trickery to do with passing back and forth scaling factors. I am currently working on fixing this and plan to upload the changes to CVS in a day or two. I have almost completely rewritten the printing back end for gschem. The scaling and rotation are the last things for me to patch. You will also notice approximately 50% reduction in the postscript file size due to lower verbosity in the output.

David Carr wrote:

When I attempt to print a large schematic in landscape mode, gschem creates a postscript file called say test.ps. If I then print this file using lpr test.ps, the result is printed in portrait mode and I only get the bottom left corner of the schematic. I'm using gschem from CVS (checked out yesterday) and a native postscript pinter (LaserJet 5M).

If I open the resulting postscript file with a viewer, the page is rotated 90 degrees. If I print the PS file in the viewer I get the same problems. However if I use ps2pdf to convert to a PDF and then print the PDF, the file is printed properly.

Any ideas?

The fix should be there in a few days. I wil properly rotate and scale the drawing so that it appears `portrait' on the page, along with appropriately set bounding boxes. What you see is probably because ps2pdf ignores the bounding box and calculates it's own, then rotates and scales the file to fit on a standard sheet. I know that the output code also injects some `setpagedevice' commands under certain circumstances, and these may be confusing your printer. The PDF translator may remove these and thus make your printout appear correctly.

-David Carr

I'll attach the resulting postscript file.